The way we were…

The cornerstone of St Joseph Church, Rockdale was laid on Thanksgiving Day, 1914, and the first Mass in the new church was celebrated in November of 1915.  As we continue to celebrate our parish’s 100th anniversary, here are some photos from the “early days”;

The original interior of the church.The windows in the sanctuary were removed later when the sacristy was expanded.;

SJ 1915The first pastor, Fr. John Baltutis, with the Lithuanian Choir, 1917;

Lithuanian Choir 1917An early parish First Communion celebration (complete with brass band!). This photo is undated, but it must have been taken before 1930, since the rectory was not built yet;

family photo